Making Math Real: Base 10 Puzzles
NEW! BASE 10 PUZZLES INTENSIVE MINI-COURSE
New weekday morning online sessions via Zoom:
10 two-hour online classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays in Fall 2023
Fall 2023 Dates: Oct. 3, 5; 10, 12; 17, 19; 24, 26; 31, Nov. 2
Time: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM PDT
Mandatory Prerequisite: The 4 Operations & 400 Math Facts
Registration Fee: $499 (materials not included)
Required Materials: Base 10 Puzzles Levels I-V
AND Base 10 Puzzles Part 2, Level VI
For those who do not yet own the Base 10 Puzzles Levels I-V and Part 2, Level VI: ORDER HERE
∞ REGISTER (Registration Opens June 6 @ 9am PDT)
∞ DISCOUNTS & SAVINGS
∞ Zoom Instructions & Online Class Etiquette Guidelines
The Base 10 Puzzles provide encompassing structured development for an impressive array of highly valuable cognitive functions for place value applications including number sense, the base 10 system, numeration, sequencing, mental flexibility, visual-spatial ability, working memory, and regulatory executive functions. In addition, The Base 10 Puzzles, provide the mental foundations that support automaticity with the addition and subtraction facts as well as rounding.
The Base 10 Puzzles are so valuable as an educational tool, David Berg uses them in every initial assessment to give specific data about students’ current development in all the aforementioned cognitive functions.
The Base 10 Puzzles Intensive Mini-Course will provide comprehensive and focused detail coverage of all the Levels I-VI in the worksheet masters, Base 10 Puzzles Levels I-V and Base 10 Puzzles Part 2, Level VI, including key assessment point puzzles styles and the different configurations/locations of the prompting number in each puzzle. Level VI puzzles also include essential place value applications puzzles, “How Much Is…?” And “What Happened?”
Extensions for all the puzzles* will be presented including extending the base 10 puzzles formats for Level VII and up, linear counting puzzles, What Comes Next?” for counting by ±10s, 100s, 1,000s, etc., and advanced rounding applications.
- Complete coverage of Levels 1-6 of the Base 10 Puzzles with extensions*, which provide the basis for all place value applications
- Powerful development of number sense, the base 10 system, numeration, sequencing, mental flexibility, visual-spatial ability, working memory, and regulatory executive functions
- The Base 10 Puzzles provide the fundamental number sense developments for learning the addition and subtraction facts and for rounding
- Using the Base 10 Puzzles as an assessment tool
- Extending* the Base 10 Puzzles to higher levels, Level VII and beyond
- Extending* to advanced rounding applications
- Extending* to advanced linear pattern counting puzzles, “What Comes Next?”
The Base 10 Puzzles Intensive Mini-Course requires completion of Making Math Real: The 4 Operations & 400 Math Facts course as a mandatory prerequisite.
* Puzzles extensions are based on advanced place value applications from the Making Math Real: Fractions, Decimals & Advanced Place Value course. Whereas, it will be beneficial for course participants to have completed the advanced place value units from the Making Math Real: Fractions, Decimals & Advanced Place Value course, it is not required for enrolling in The Base 10 Puzzles Intensive Mini-Course.
These techniques are designed to reach the full diversity of learning styles. Extensive color-coding is a critical element of the structure. Please have 4 colored markers or pencils in blue, green, red and black and plenty of paper for note-taking.