ORBIDA Keynote by David Berg
MAKING MATH REAL: OVERVIEW, K-12
2-Day Keynote Workshop Presentation
for the 38th Annual ORBIDA Conference
DATES & TIMES: Saturday and Sunday March 9-10, 2013, from 9:00 am-5:00 pm each day. There will be two 15-minutes breaks each day, from 10:30-10-45, and 2:30-2:45. Lunch will be one hour each day from 12:00 – 1:00. Lunch is provided on-site both days, and all materials are provided as part of your registration fee.
The two-day “Making Math Real: Overview” presents the introductory fundamentals for using comprehensive and systematic multisensory-structured methods to teach all math content from pre-K through calculus. The Making Math Real: Overview is intended for all educators: classroom teachers from kindergarten through college, special educators, private practitioners, and parents.
Participants will learn to:
- Structure math content from the concrete to the abstract through the effective use of manipulatives
- Connect and transfer the concrete, hands-on reality of the mathematics to its specific expression in abstract symbolic form
- Structure systematic incrementation for algebra through calculus
- Develop concept-procedure integration to teach for comprehension – not rote memorization
- Expand and structure teaching for all processing styles
- Develop decoding and encoding of the math codes
- Understand the structure needed to develop students’ cognitive ability to learn and retain the multiplication facts
- Understand the neurobiology and cognitive science of how the brain does math
Click here to read more in an article by David Berg.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Making Math Real is an intensively developmental structure wherein each current mathematical development directly builds the foundation for the next. Consequently, ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST ATTEND THE FULL TWO DAYS FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE OVERVIEW. Late arrivals will not be admitted.
The Making Math Real: Overview is the mandatory prerequisite course for all future Making Math Real seminars.
Click here for Making Math Real Course descriptions.
PLEASE BRING: Extensive color-coding is a critical element of the program. Please bring 4 colored pens or pencils in blue, green, red and black.
Click here for ORBIDA Conference details.
Click here for ORBIDA Conference registration.
Please have a valid credit card available. Your registration fee includes all materials required for the workshop, and all food and beverage costs for both days, including continental breakfast, AM and PM breaks, and lunch.
2013 Conference Fees: Please visit ORBIDA’s Conference Event page for “2013 Conference Fees” link: http://www.orbida.org/eventview.asp?EID=21
PLEASE NOTE: Early registration ends on Friday, February 1, 2013. Fees increase after that date. Please register early to secure your place and receive the best rate possible.
Holiday Inn Reservation Link
Holiday Inn Portland Airport
8439 NE Columbia Blvd.
Portland, OR 97220-1382
Book online or call: 503-256-5000. Be sure to mention that you are with ORBIDA.
You must register at least 15 days prior to your arrival date in order to secure the discounted conference rate of $79 per night + tax.
Any reservations made later than that will be accepted on a space-available basis only with no guarantee of the conference discount.