Please read the following Zoom instructions and class guidelines carefully, at least 1 week before your class begins to allow sufficient time for downloading and learning the Zoom online class meeting platform and understanding the new class time guidelines to ensure a smooth and positive learning experience for all. Your preparation is a gift to the group and to yourself. We are in this together!
- Online Course Instructor: David Berg, ET, Founder & Director, Making Math Real
- Online Zoom Host & Moderator: Emily O’Connor, ET, Advantage Math Clinic
+ Email: email@example.com
Computer Equipment Requirement
All participants are required to access the online Zoom class meeting using either a laptop or desktop computer with a front-facing camera. Please set up your laptop or desktop computer on a desk or table with plenty of room to place your course binder of materials open for note-taking. If you do not have access to a computer, you may use an iPad or tablet, but they are not preferred. (Phones may be used to augment audio, but not for viewing the course.)
Required Course Materials
Please have the required MMR materials at your desk throughout the course (see your course confirmation email for details). MMR recommends you have 4 colored ballpoint pens or pencils in blue, red, green and black on hand, along with plenty of paper, for note-taking during class.
New to Zoom? Immediately Download the Zoom Software/App:
- Desktop Computer & Laptop Users: For best results, please visit this website to sign-up for a Zoom account and download the Zoom software on to your computer or laptop: https://zoom.us/meetings
- iPads & Tablet Users: Please download the “ZOOM Cloud Meetings” App from your App Store, open and sign-up for an account.
- Can’t Download Software? Please contact Emily immediately to get help. Do not wait until the day before class, and kindly contact her on a weekday during business hours.
Already a Zoom user? Please Upgrade to Version 5.0.
Zoom just upgraded the security on their software and it is now mandatory that everyone install the new 5.0 version. If you haven’t already downloaded this new version to your computer, please do so before class begins: https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting
Need Support Learning to Use Zoom?
- Free tech consultations in advance of class:
Registered participants may contact Emily by email to schedule a free consultation to receive her expert assistance in advance of the course.
- Zoom Help Desk with your host, Emily O’Connor: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Early Bird Zoom Help Session: 1 hour before class begins on the first day
MMR invites you to a special EarlyBird Zoom Help Session from 8am-9am on the 1st day of every DL course, with your host, Emily. Participants are invited to “join” the Zoom Class Meeting extra-early on the 1st day to ask questions about the Zoom platform and get help with features such as muting, raising your hand, navigating view screen options, etc.
- Zoom video on how to “join a meeting”: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting-
Zoom Class Time Guidelines & Etiquette
- Get Familiar With Zoom: Please download and access Zoom as soon as possible to explore it and familiarize yourself with the features in advance of the 1st day of class. Play around and have fun testing it out with family or friends! If you need help, contact Emily to schedule a free 1-on-1 Zoom help appointment well before class begins.
- “Raising Hands” and Asking David Questions: We ask that you stay muted during class instruction as household background noise is extremely distracting for other participants and your instructor. Throughout each day of class David will pause to ask the class “Do you have any questions?” at opportune moments during his instruction. We kindly ask that you reserve your questions for these moments to keep interruptions to a minimum. Please feel free to use the “raise hand” feature in Zoom anytime, and Emily will ensure you get your question answered when David pauses to allow for questions. Be sure to “unmute” when you are called on to ask your question. If you forget to “re-mute” after asking your question and receiving feedback Emily may mute you in the interest of an optimal learning experience for all. If this happens you will see a message “Muted By Host.” Please know that if you get this message it is Emily who has muted you, not David, and that it is only Emily trying to ensure the class is as smooth as possible. You will still be able to “unmute” again at a later time.
- Strong Internet Connection: Please ensure sure you have a strong internet connection. A poor internet connection is extremely distracting for everyone as video image freezes and the audio distorts.
- Home Office Set-Up: Use a laptop or desktop computer with a front-facing camera, placed on a stable desk or table, seated in a chair. David must see your face. Be sure to have your course binder, colored pens, plenty of paper, and a glass of water available at your desk. Please reserve the scheduled breaks for moments when you need to leave your desk.
- No Black Screens Allowed: You may not disable your camera (i.e. video set to “off”) during MMR classes except during scheduled breaks. If you need to sneeze or take a quick moment for yourself, then you can go black for a short period of time (1 minute or less). However, if you need to take a restroom break or deal with an emergency, David requires that you prop up a sign in front of your camera that says “restroom break” or “back in 5” so that he knows you stepped away. (Black screens (i.e. video set to “off”) during class time are strictly prohibited except during scheduled breaks – see MMR’s Distance Learning Policy.) Please also refrain from using Zoom Backgrounds as they are distracting to the instructor.
- Technical Difficulties During Class Time: Please send a text to Emily (cell number provided to course participants) if you cannot “unmute” or find that your audio is not working properly during class. Fielding calls during class time is difficult for Emily, however you may call her if you are experiencing a true “tech emergency.” This may be helpful as there will be no Zoom Chat of any kind during MMR Distance Learning Courses.
- Please don’t “test” the Zoom Link before the 1st Day: If you try “testing” the Zoom link before class begins, Emily will receive pings and emails that you are trying to log into the meeting and it is invasive.
- Please review the following MMR policies:
– Class Time Policies
– Distance Learning Policies
Daily Class Schedule & Breaks
- Intensive Mini-Courses:
3 Breaks: 10-10:08am, 11-11:08am, & 12-12:08pm
3 Breaks: 10-10:08am, 11-11:08am, & 12-12:08pm
Note: All participants are invited to join the daily class meeting between 8:45am-9am
Zoom Link/Meeting ID Email: Please note that MMR will email all participants the Zoom Meeting URL/Meeting ID number the week before class begins. Don’t miss this email and please save/store the email for easy and immediate access! This Zoom link/Meeting ID is used to “join the class meeting” between 8am-9am on the first day of class, and throughout the course between 8:45am-9am daily. If you need the link again for any reason please get in touch with Emily.
Note: The Zoom Meeting link/ID will remain the same throughout the course
Registration / Payment Help: Please contact Tracy at Making Math Real if you need help with your course registration, payment or any other MMRI assistance: email@example.com